Civil Air Patrol ( National website: https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com ):
"CAP owns the largest fleet of single-engine piston aircraft in the nation, primarily Cessna 172s and 182s, and CAP pilots are able to fly those planes to perform CAP missions in service to their local communities. CAP pilots fly reconnaissance missions for homeland security, search and rescue, disaster relief,... "
CAP has three primary missions:
- Aerospace Education
- Cadet Training
- Emergency Services
- To provide an organization to encourage and aid citizens of the United States in contributing their efforts, services, and resources in developing aviation and in maintaining air supremacy; and encourage and develop by example the voluntary contribution of private citizens to the public welfare.
- To provide aviation education and training especially to its senior and cadet members.
- To encourage and foster civil aviation in local communities.
- To provide an organization of private citizens with adequate facilities to assist in meeting local and national emergencies.
- To assist the Department of the Air Force in fulfilling its non-combat programs and missions.